Responsibilities And FunctionsOperating under the authority and direction of the Board of County Commissioners, the principle functions of the Planning Office include:
- Preparation and maintenance of a countywide Comprehensive Plan
- Conceptualization and implementation of special projects for the Public Works Department
- Providing staff support for the Planning and Zoning Commission
- Administration of the Zoning Rules and Regulations
- Administration of the Rules and Regulations Governing the Division of Land
- Maintaining thorough documentation of planning proceedings
- Providing enforcement services to carry out county responsibilities
- Researching and providing recommendations regarding county growth/development
- To engage the public in all aspects of the county planning process.
- To present a range of alternative considerations, and well reasoned recommendations to decision makers when addressing the county’s future.
- To seek incentive-based solutions in preference to new regulation.
- To assist the public in conceptualization and formulation of development proposals.
- To provide accurate and informative reviews of development proposals.
- To consider the “big picture”, while remaining sensitive to needs of the individual.
- To prepare specific courses of action resulting in implementation of duly adopted goals and policies of the county.
- To be a team player along with other county departments and elected officials.
- To work cooperatively with all units of local, state and federal government.
- To seek first, voluntary compliance with county land-use rules.