Vehicle Registration

The Sheridan County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for calculating vehicle registration/license plate fees. The department has compiled the following information to answer common questions about vehicle registration and associated fees.

Pay Vehicle RegistrationsPay Online: In order to accomplish this the PIN from your renewal reminder card and current insurance information is needed for the vehicle(s) being renewed.  There is an additional credit card fee for using this convenient service.  This fee varies by credit card type. Pay In Person: Vehicle registration payments can also be made in person at the County Treasurer’s office.
How to Register a vehicleRegistering a vehicle requires the following information:

  • Wyoming Title or Out of State Registration: A Wyoming title is required to get Wyoming plates, or a current and valid out-of-state registration.  Wyoming Titles can be obtained from the County Clerk’s Office.
  • Proof of Current Auto Insurance
  • VIN or NADA Numbers: These are required for calculating registration fees.

Title forms, VIN inspections, and other items for vehicle sales and registration have been consolidated from both the Clerk and Treasurer’s offices on the Vehicle Documents and Forms page.

Registration Fee TransfersCredit for non-expired license plates/registrations can be given to new purchases only, but can be transferred off any type of vehicle as long as that vehicle is sold before transferring.

Calculation of Registration FeesRegistration/license plate fees are calculated based on the factory price of the vehicle. This is in accordance with State statute requirements to establish a consistent method to determine valuation of a vehicle. Depreciation of the factory price is factored within the first 5 years of the vehicle’s life.

When to Get License PlatesRetired persons moving to Wyoming have up to 120 days to register a vehicle in Wyoming. Otherwise, once you are employed and establish a residence (typically even if it is temporary) you are required to register your vehicle in Wyoming as soon as possible.

Requirements for a Commercial License PlateThe total GVW must exceed 26,000 pounds. Anyone registering a vehicle 55,000 pounds or more must show proof that they have paid HVUT (heavy highway tax). Estimated mileage for the year is also required.